Monday, January 31, 2011

Two Steps Forward, One step back.

Minor setback today. =[

I had time for a quick ride tonight. I got Sasha ready, she was very cuddly, blah blah blah. I bring her into the arena - one other person was riding her 17hh Percheron x Trakehener [sp?] around, but he was also having a "green horse day" - and tighten her girth. She is puffing up like a maniac - first sign of a "fun ride" - and she swung away from the mounting block when we went up to it. I ended up sandwiching Sasha between a jump standard and the mounting block, then I swing on. Sasha starts walking off, and at this point I am thinking "Ohhhh crap. It's going to be one of those days." Not trying to cause problems, but yeah.

Well, it was. Sasha randomly would try to trot off when we were walking, and when we trotted she would try and canter. I had to REALLY sit back and HAUL for her to slow down. I'm all for being soft and quiet, but that wasn't working today.

I felt kind of bad only walk/trotting, but I'd rather be completely sure and confident before I do it when she's like this. Being ran away with last week cracked [not totally shattered =P - and my lesson yesterday helped bring some of it back, but...] my confidence, and so I've been very cautious. I think tomorrow is a "let 'er rip" day. AKA, turn Sasha out in the indoor and flick a lunge whip at her so she's "terrified" and gleefully gallops around launching some huge twisting bucks that make me glad I'm not on her!

Overall, Sasha was way to fresh for a horse that was worked pretty heavily the last three days. She had no reason to be so hard-mouthed and stubborn. However, apparently there is a killer snow storm headed our way, and animals can sense big weather events. Fingers crossed for a snow day.


P.S. We just got a new [to us] Ford Explorer with 7,000lb towing capacity. It's our new "haul the horses to the show" car, plus we're getting a two horse trailer soon. Should be fun!

P.P.S. The grand prix rider from last Wednesday [I think I posted about it Friday] moved her horse to my barn yesterday. He's a huge 17.2hh bay Hano. I can't wait to see him move and jump!

No comments:

Post a Comment