Sunday, January 30, 2011

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I had a lesson today. I'm having two lessons/week for a few weeks probably until we can calmly do courses.


But, Sasha was incredible! I know I seem like I've been bragging a lot, but it is so nice to have a horse to have fun with and not stress over.


So, our flatwork was good. I ended up cantering her on a very loose rein on a circle, and she was almost LAZY! Sasha actually broke into the trot! =O My riding instructor made me do figure eights within the circle...at a canter. Um, yeah, we got lots of flying lead change practice! I just need to keep my inside leg on more because we both sort of ducks in after she does her lead change. It's nice - she almost auto changes, but she sometimes gets "scrambly," so I'll just work on really balancing her for them.


Jumping went well. I had the lesson to myself. We started right off with an in-and-out. I was pretty happy - we actually got some height today at 3'. I thought it was 2'6" lol, but Sasha gets SO ROUND and SO SO SOFT at that height! We had one refusal when I collected her trot too much around the turn and then didn't send her forward enough, but I was fairly balanced today so I didn't tip forward like I occasionally still do [oops.] Sasha was a little...rambunctious after the jump the first few times, but she settled after I made her walk at the end of the arena and we cantered around the corner the last round.


And I learned that the higher the jump, the rounder and quieter Sasha gets. Hmm. Interesting. =P


Though, quick random note, when the jump hit around 2'9", I think my brain was like "AHA! Not a baby jump!" and I ducked like crazy over it [only the first time, then I corrected it.] My RI said something like "What did you do over that last jump?" Me: "Ducked like crazy." Him: "Yeah, you ducked like it was 6'. It's not. Sit up!" So yeah. 


Oh, fyi, I'm going to do a chart at the end of my posts on "Achievements" and "Things to do Better." Some stuff may not be in my post - rather, they are reminders to me.




Achievements

  • Hit the 3' mark
  • Cantered nearly on the buckle
  • Stayed fairly balanced even through refusals.
  • Got Sasha soft/ROUND by the end.


Things to Improve

  • Flying Changes
  • Lift inside hand more through turns
  • Be more proactive and react more quickly to what Sasha does.
  • Try not to duck even over one jump!
  • Desensitize Sasha.  

No comments:

Post a Comment