Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fun stuff.

Helping out with my barn's camp is tedious haha.

Now that that's out of the way....

So there is a girl from Sasha's old barn who has been helping with my barn's camp [still not sure why...whatever haha]. Well, she rode Sasha a lot and was going to lease her if I hadn't bought her. I let her ride Sasha a little today, and they were both so good! ^^ I hacked Sasha a little before she got on, and it was raining on and off. Sasha was pretty good, I did some no stirrups work, and cantered her over some ground poles, nothing fancy.

Well, here comes the funny part. The girl who rode Sash and I were talking about how fun it would be to buy a green pony, put some miles on it, then resell it. We were talking about this while going through a pasture to grab some horses for the campers. There's this cute little four year old 14.1 ish bay gelding that was munching grass next to the horses we were getting. She goes "awww he's so cute!" I go "That's Colby, he doesn't really do anything." We instantly stare at each other because BAM! that's our pony! We won't buy or resell, but he's definately my project. Apparently, he bucked a buch of people off [no, really, he was barely broken in -facepalm-] I talked with the barn owner, and she's thrilled if I get him going a little. I rode him today, and it was interesting. We let him run around in the indoor, and then I went to tack him up. The saddle goes on without a fuss, and then comes the bridle. Well....that was interesting. He flipped out and started spinning around in the stall because he's so touchy about his ears and face. That will need to be worked on. I eventually remembered what we did with a horse at my old barn that had the same issue, just not as bad. We took off the noseband and browband, and so it was just the bit, the crownpiece, and the throatlatch. We [my friend helped] unbuckled the side, then flipped it over his ears and refastened it.

I bring him into the indoor arena, because he is awful in the outdoor. I start basically from scratch. I lay over his back, etc. I get on with my friend walking him, and then he was fine. I then have her let go, and I just walk for about 10 minutes. He was super green, needing big opening reins and very basic aids. After a while, I make my friend come walk/jog next to me for a trot. Again, he was being so good that I had her let go and I just trotted THE FREAKING MOST COMFY HORSE EVER around a few times, then reverse etc. It was a pretty short ride, but I want to take it really slowly with him.

Yeah. So you will get Sasha and Colby updates. He is honestly the cutest little thing, probably a Morgan or Arab cross, dark bay, long mane, gorgeous head.

No comments:

Post a Comment